Sunday 19 July 2009

Amir Khan's Connections

Last night in Manchester Amir Khan won a version of the World light welterweight title (WBA) by beating Ukranian Andriy Kotelnik on points.

Now I'm not going to knock Khan (I'm not going to mention the fact that when he was ko'd in one round by Breidis Prescott last year he said that some members of the crowd booed him because they were jealous 'I earn more in a few fights than they earn in their entire lives'), I'm not going to mention that - whoops!

Anyhow, my point is really all about the aforementioned Prescott.

As I have mentioned he ko'd Khan last year. And of course last night Khan won the WBA title (against a non puncher, Khan has been VERY carefully matched not facing any puncher other than Prescott) but on Friday night Prescott lost a split decision in Las Vegas on a nothing sort of bill to one Miguel Vazquez.

It's all about connections, Khan the darling of the British multicult media has them, Prescott hasn't.

If, for some reason you think my gripe is based on some sort of racist agenda against Khan you're wrong. I liked him when he turned pro and thought his naivety was quite engaging but has been replaced by a kind of arrogance.

Also on the race thing, one of my all time great sporting heroes is American boxer Marvin Hagler - who of course is black.

Also Prescott is Colombian...


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Khan is false, the whole thing is a circus with frank warren as ring-master.

James Higham said...

This has always been the way in boxing - fight the weakest opponent your connections can rig up. If you're the darling, the connections are better.

Snarky Basterd said...

Marvelous Marvin Hagler...a hell of a fighter. I actually enjoyed Larry Holmes, too...punch drunk though he was. Mike Tyson was even beautiful, in a violent sort of way, until Buster Douglas dropped his ass...then he went all loco. But he was a caged killer before then, simply incredible to watch.

JPT said...

Dr Dave: Tyson was an awesome fighter you're right and on his night there was no better to watch.
I was also a big fan of Tommy Hearns and Don Curry.
I also liked rough house fighters such as Frank Fletcher and Juan Roldan.
Top Brits for me were Welshman Colin Jones and Tony Sibson.
I could go on! In fact I will - John Mugabi, Julian Jackson - what punchers!
And for sheer blood and guts heroism try West Ham's Mark Kaylor.

Anonymous said...

The first boxer to rattle Tyson was a guy called James 'bonecrusher' Smith, looking for some footage of that fight I came across this users channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pakistani4lyfe

Obviously as you can guess, this 'pakistani for life' resides in the UK!!!

Check his channel out though, he has some good Tyson footage from years ago...

JPT said...

BA:
Bonecrusher rattled him in the first if I remember rightly - then became BoneCLUTCHER for the rest of the fight - and lost on points.
In all fairness to Bonecrusher though he did knock out Bruno!

Anonymous said...

Bonecrusher could have had Tyson, but Don King didn't want it!

And yeah, he did clatter Bruno!