Sunday 14 June 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I watched Slumdog Millionaire on DVD last night. It was the second time I'd watched it, the first time being at the cinema a couple of months ago.
I'm not reviewing the film here but briefly I thought it was well shot with a good soundtrack and was very entertaining. On the negative side there were some plot holes and it was for some reason peddling a pro Islamic message (subtly).

My main beef with the film though is the simple fact that it was marketed as 'The Feelgood Film of the Year'!

What?! Feelgood film!?

When I watched it at the cinema there were parents and teenage daughters there all pop corned up and obviously ready for a 'romcom'. You should have seen their faces after just a few minutes of the film.

Entertaining it was, feelgood it wasn't.

Whoever marketed the film and used that slogan should be electrocuted, or blinded, if you get my drift...

3 comments:

CherryPie said...

I must admit although I enjoyed the film the book was much better. The film didn't make me feel good, but the book did.

There was no political message in the book, the Islamic message wasn't there at all. The thing that came through in the book was the corruption of the show hosts.

The love element and the way he managed to prove his innocence was quite different too!

JPT said...

CherryPie:
Shows what I know - I didn't even know there was a book!!

Jeannine said...

JPT, I watched the film at the cinema and have it on the LoveFilms list so Arthur can see it too. I read the book back in February and liked that MUCH better. It is almost completely different from the film. The only similarity is the basic premise.